Building Deadzone terrain

The family was away yesterday so I took the opportunity to sit down and build terrain for the upcoming Deadzone summer campaign. About a year ago I did a trade that involved a box of unassembled Deadzone terrain. It was not an insubstantial box and I have been slowly chipping away at it.


The day flew past pretty quickly and I think that I managed to get a little more than a table worth of terrain put together. I think that with the current amount I have I should be able to fill three tables but I am going to try to do at least one more table worth to ensure that I can fill out four tables for the summer campaign.


Picking a faction

Picking a faction in any game is often a problem. One can go with the faction that has the best looking models, the coolest in-game effects or just the one that grabs your attention. So lets take a look at the factions in Beyond the Gates of Antares and examine their strong points. My path to pick a faction is complicated somewhat by the fact that I am doing so as part of a slow grow league so I don’t want to interfere with anyone else’s decisions.

My initial thought was to go with the Concord forces for two reasons. First, they are easy to get as the Combine models are in both of the current BtGA starter sets. Secondly,  they have so many awesome looking drone models. Sadly there is already at least one Concord player.

Continue reading →

Deadzone Forge Fathers near completion

I’ve been managing to get some work done on them from time to time and my Deadzone Forge Fathers are almost complete.


I just need to finish the bases and then they will be ready to hit the table. I used the Army Painter Dragon Red as a base and then accented the models with blue and yellow based on a complimentary colour triad. Typically I like contrasting colours but that leads to me painting with greens and its not usually my favourite colour.

After these are done I need to finish one of my three other Deadzone forces in preparation for the summer Deadzone event that I hope is still going to happen.

3 fun things about Gates of Antares

At my local gaming store we are in the process of beginning a ‘slow grow’ league for Beyond the Gates of Antares. BtGA is a 30mm sci-fi miniature game from Warlord Games written by everyone’s favourite gaming uncle Rick Priestly. The game was released a few years ago with a small amount of fanfare and has been getting a steady series of releases from the company since then. The core gameplay comes from their Bolt Action WWII game with additions for a science fiction setting.

Isorian Phase Squad

Isorian Phase Squad

As part of the process of familiarizing myself with the game and the background I thought I’d write some blog posts about the game and share them with the local gamers to help get us all up to speed. So to begin, here are three aspects of the game that I find interesting and distinct about Beyond the Gates of Antares.

Continue reading →

To-dos done

Just realised that I had manage to finish assembling the Forge Father and Iron Ancestor models for Deadzone so I was able to mark those off the To-Do List. I did a trade this week for some 15mm Battlefront Lee models so I added those to the list. They will be done as Lend Lease models for the Soviets as I already have two painted for the US North African force and I can’t see building a list that has five of them.

Can you afford Adeptus Titanicus?

You have to hand it to GW. They really know how to build up expectation for a product. The annual Warhammer Fest event is running and Games Workshop is using it to promote new releases for almost all of its games and also previewing the upcoming Adeptus Titanicus game. Twitter is awash with photos from the event and gamers are understandably excited to be seeing the first official models for Adeptus Titanicus.

Unlike previous iterations of their Titan-on-titan combat game, these new models are enormous.

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 8.15.08 AM.png

The Knight model on the left is on a 40mm base and is slightly larger than a GW Human Blood Bowl figure seen in the back. Based on, admittedly rough visual comparisons, that places the Warlord Titan at about three-quarters of the size of the 40K Imperial Knight model.  Continue reading →

Deadzone Forge Guard

There are miniatures that are good looking and miniatures that are easy to build. Sometimes you are lucky and a set of models will be both. Such is not the case for the Deadline/Warpath Forge Guard minis.

There is so much to like about them. They have great weapons, bags of character and look fearsome. If they can’t shoot it they can smash it with their hammers and if its too far to smash they have great big guns. Everyone wins! Putting them together was not a fun time though.


If only they were fun to assemble

The models come with no instructions. Luckily there are not a lot of parts and they are all given a letter that, one assumes, guides the builder in putting the various parts together into a single model. Happily they are hard plastic and not the soft “restic” that Mantic has used in the past. The main body attaches to a cross piece that consists of the top of the head and the shoulders. This piece is meant to sit flush with the body but I couldn’t manage to do this with any of the six figures in the box. There are several leg sections that fit into specific models and it is clear which ones match which models. They assemble quite nicely. The other legs don’t really appear to fit into notches in the body and so they fit but not smoothly.

It would be easy to ascribe this to bad assembly or mismatching parts but without some instructions its really difficult to tell if the fault was mine or if the figures are just poorly modelled.

At least they look pretty darned nice once they are assembled but these have been my least favourite models to assemble since I tried to put together some plastic Warmachine Cygnar Storm Knights.